Gran Alacant is a blessed little corner of the world. We have loads of sun, great weather, the sea, etc. We also get our share of mosquitoes and this year thanks to the generous rainfall we are seeing more than usual. Here are some tips to help you cope
Mosquitos can lay eggs in any standing water. The platter under your potted plants, the puddle on the cover of the swimming pool, the rainwater barrel, etc. are all potential mosquito breeding grounds. The solution is to drop mosquito dunks in any standing water. These little doughnut-shaped discs are all natural and contain bacteria that kill any mosquito larvae. Safe and effective and won’t harm pets, people or wildlife. You can even use them in a koi pond.
Pet owners, the dog bowl in the garden in another favourite spot for mosquitoes to lay their eggs. Be sure to empty and refill dog bowls with fresh clean water frequently.
Landscape with plants that repel mosquitos. Many of these are culinary herbs you can also use in the kitchen
- Basil (for your Caprese salad or pesto)
- Mint (also good for mojitos)
- Citronella (just like the anti-mosquito candles)
Skin so Soft
Skin so Soft is a favourite for a reason. People swear by this Avon product saying it was the best most effective bug spray they’ve tried. And this dry oil leaves your skin soft! A must for camping, hiking or any outdoor activity.
These colourful bracelets are designed to ward off mosquitos. And at less than 10 euros for a dozen, you can have these mosquito-repelling bracelets on hand for your guests at your next barbecue.
Bug Repellent Lights
Those blue garden lights that zap bugs work wonders at keeping mosquitos and other critters at bay in the garden. You don’t even need power anymore! You can get a nice LED solar bug zapper for less than 50 euros.
If there are mosquitos about, cover up. And avoid bright colors that attract mosquitos
There is some evidence to suggest that eating garlic can help ward off mosquitos. It can take a few weeks to build up enough in your system but alioli and gambas al ajillo are delicious and this gives you an excuse to eat more. If garlic is not your thing, B1 supplements have been shown to work as well.
Time of day
Mosquitos are more active as dusk so avoid being outside during those hours.
Try to avoid scratching mosquito bites as this can irritate the bite and possibly cause infection.
Soothe that bite
There are many ways to help with that itch:
- apply calamine lotion, a classic post-bite soother, like Talquisitina
- hydrocortisone cream
- oatmeal baths can be very soothing. Another option is to make a paste and apply to bites
- bicarbonate of soda, make a paste and apply to bites
- witch hazel
- chamomile, brew and cool then apply to the affected area with a cotton ball
- ice packs are also soothing on bites
- antihistamines can help with the swelling and itching
- carry a mosquito bite roll-on like Talquistina which contains calamine or Relec which contains cooling menthol